The Mystery of Red Oskar

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Mar 16 11:13:45 PST 1999

> Michael Pollak wrote:
>

> >I still seem to be the only one in the world who
> believes that Lafontaine
> >might have resigned in part because he wants Santer's job.

You're not. The same thing came up in our meeting this a.m. as a possible factor. Though the fruits of our casual speculation were also that his political position was shaky (hence the wisdom of regrouping via resignation), the U.S. and Brits were opposing him, and the Germans wanted to have the flexibility to lower interest rates only to the extent they are inclined without appearing to concede to him.

mbs