Sloan: GM manufactures profits not cars.

Wed Mar 17 07:09:49 PST 1999

I said the same thing. Alfred P. Sloane was in the financial division and moved to the chair of GM. So, he was used to making money. This is state monopoly capitalism with its financial oligarchy. He also introduced planned obsolesence, but evidently he it was Wilson who said what's good for GM is good for America.

Myth (and a famous legal case) have it that Henry Ford was once sued by some stockholders for not making enough profits and Ford lost. The court held that a corporation is not elyomosinary (spelling), i.e. charatable. True enough. I don't know if I believe Henry Ford was being that generous as to make cars afFORDable for the many. I guess he figured he had enough money.

GM's new world headquarters is right across the street from me. They tried to buy City Hall and move us into the old GM building at midtown new center, but we beat them back.

A term they have proliferated recently is Detroit as a ":world class city". This seems part of their concept of a new global economic city. We are going to fool them and become a world working class city.

Charles Brown

>>> Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> 03/17/99 08:58AM >>>
I believe it was Sloan, the first Chairman of General Motors, who said that GM manufactured profits, not cars. I forget

Carrol