School vouchers

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 17 09:32:30 PST 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

>I agree with you that more centralized revenue systems at the
>state level would be helpful, though there is a difficult
>governance/efficiency side of the issue which is usually
>discounted on the left.

Are you implying that thousands of local school boards and administrations are more efficient? Isn't there massive duplication of administrative effort? Last I looked, U.S. employment in government approached that of European countries with much higher levels of public spending. I assumed this was rampant localism at work; for a country that professes to hate government, it's created over 83,000 of them.

Doug