death penalty

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Mar 17 11:52:00 PST 1999

The Baltimore Sun reports that a politically connected Delaware prosecutor, Thomas Capano, convicted of murdering his mistress and dumping her body in the sea was just sentenced to death. The sentencing judge described Capano as "a ruthless murderer who feels compassion for no one and remorse only for the circumstances in which he finds himself... he is a malignant force from whom no one he deems disloyal or adversarial can be secure, even if he is incarcerated for the rest of his life." http://www.sunspot.net/

Sounds like a fair description of a typical US politician (cf. Giulliani or Clinton) or a businessman to me.

A broader issue is that the main point of the Left's opposition to death penalty (at least as I see it) is that it is class biased. But, if upper class men and politicos start getting death sentences - that point all but disappears, no? (I personally have no problems with executing or otherwise disposing of upper class men who view themselves above the law).

Any comments?

Wojtek