Farewell to Oskar

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Wed Mar 17 13:03:30 PST 1999

> > On March 11, Oskar Lafontaine resigned his position as
> German Finance
> > Minister and chair of the Social Democratic Party (SPD). His
> >resignation
> > elicited "euphoria" in "jubilant" financial markets,
> editorial offices,
> > and news rooms.[1]
>
> As best as I can see, the "newsrooms" and "editorial offices"
> part of this
> sentence is false. Moreover, the jubilation in financial markets was
> limited to Europe. The people on Wall Street I talk to were
> not pleased:

I dunno who you're talking to, Brad, but the Wall Street Journal was orgasmic when Lafontaine resigned. I quoted their DNA-spattered editorial here on the list right after it appeared on March 12 and shall do so again now:

"... Germany is now likely to veer away from the precipice and steer a saner course. Whew. That was a close one. It was close not only for Germany, but also for Europe and perhaps the global economy .... 'Is this the most dangerous man in Europe?' asked The Sun tabloid of London this year, printing an especially unattractive picture of a leering Mr. Lafontaine. He may well have been, and now he's gone. His surprise resignation marks the passing of a cloud over Europe's economic future. Mr. Schroeder now has a chance to have another try. Let's hope he has learned his lesson as well as M. Mitterand did in 1983. As the French president said, 'I was carried [away] by victory, we were intoxicated.' German beer sometimes has the same effect."

Yes, I'd say "euphoria" and "jubilant" are les mots justes.

Carl Remick