Farewell to Oskar

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 17 16:06:36 PST 1999

Good thing not too many listened to Summers' lectures. As Yukihiko Ikeda, a senior member of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party, reported told the press: "Mr. Summers says, do this, do that. But we will continue with steps already in the works." The BOJ, Japan's central bank, thinks Summers is offering snake oil cures in the notion of fighting deflation with easing money supply.

To claim Lafontaine as "one of the few European politicians who openly agrees with the U.S." is the height of self delusion.

Furthermore, Mr Summers changed his position several times over the past six years catching up on reality. Expansion of domestic demand has been US official position only after undeniable data showed the folly of initial US prognosis and rescue measures for the Asian crises (tight monetary measures, high interest rates, etc.)

Henry C.K. Liu