School vouchers

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Wed Mar 17 16:29:57 PST 1999

> Last I looked, U.S. employment in government approached that of
> European countries with much higher levels of public spending. I assumed
> this was rampant localism at work; for a country that professes to hate
> government, it's created over 83,000 of them.
> Doug

of the approximately 17 million public sector workers in the US, about 14 million work for state and local gov'ts and 75% of that number works at local level (most of them in education, health, police & fire)...

Chubb & Moe's proposal to privatize schools is based upon their assertion that democracy (they assume it exists locally but perhaps they haven't visited Orblando) promotes bureaucracy and market promotes autonomy...their polemic wrapped in numbers is a class example of using stats in the service of ideology...Michael Hoover