SI Swimsuit issue: Holy Cow!

John K. Taber jktaber at dhc.net
Thu Mar 18 09:56:02 PST 1999

Maggie Coleman's account of the straw boss's reaction to her reading a book on econometrics vs the guys ogling the SI swimsuit issue, tickled me.

My story isn't about sexism, but my bewilderment over the rights and wrongs in the work place as seen by the straw boss.

In the defense industry long ago, we weren't necessarily laid off in a slack period. They kept us for the next contract but we had to appear busy. We worked in bullpens at desks aligned in rows and columns, facing a supervisor at the head. Just like that Kleban's Cats cartoon.

We tech writers were allowed to study math without question during slack periods. That was suitably "busy." One summer (I was working my way thru school) I thought I would take advantage of a slack period to teach myself Latin. So, I got Wheelock's book, and worked thru the exercises. It took two weeks until my straw boss realized I didn't look "busy".

>From experience I can tell you that you won't last 30 minutes
reading a novel.