How much cash has Amazon Books got?

W. Kiernan WKiernan at concentric.net
Thu Mar 18 18:07:34 PST 1999

Hello LBO-Talk!

You experts, please excuse this dumbass question. If I remember right, I read somewhere that the stock in Amazon Books is worth $20-billion and the stock value of Barnes and Noble is about $2-billion, and that includes all those buildings and parking lots and inventory and expresso machines, not to mention the B&N web site, not to mention the wholesaler Ingram.

First, have I got that right or is that something I remember from a dream or something? Second, if Amazon's stock is worth $20-billion, how much ready cash does Amazon Books have as a result of this? Is it possible they have got enough cash to buy Barnes and Noble outright? Or is all that enormous stock valuation like sea foam, where it exists only between and amongst the traders in shares?

Amazon isn't the only one, this is actually a general question; why, say, doesn't, Yahoo buy Gateway 2000?

Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net