How much cash has Amazon Books got?

W. Kiernan WKiernan at concentric.net
Thu Mar 18 20:42:50 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> W. Kiernan wrote:
>
> > You experts, please excuse this dumbass question. If I remember
> > right, I read somewhere that the stock in Amazon Books is worth
> > $20-billion and the stock value of Barnes and Noble is about
> > $2-billion, and that includes all those buildings and parking lots
> > and inventory and expresso machines, not to mention the B&N web
> > site, not to mention the wholesaler Ingram.
> >
> > First, have I got that right or is that something I remember from a
> > dream or something? Second, if Amazon's stock is worth $20-billion,
> > how much ready cash does Amazon Books have as a result of this? Is
> > it possible they have got enough cash to buy Barnes and Noble
> > outright? Or is all that enormous stock valuation like sea foam,
> > here it exists only between and amongst the traders in shares?
>
> Amazon is capitalized at around $22 billion, B&N at $2.4b.
>
> A company like Amazon.com, which loses pots on every sale, can be
> safely assumed to have little cash on hand, except for the few minutes
> after they get a fresh infusion from an optimistic investor. Their
> currency is stock, not cash - that's how they do acquisitions. I doubt
> they could do an all-stock acquisition of B&N, but who knows?

Then what do they use to pay their bills from Ingram and Fed Ex with? I mean, they couldn't sending out shares of Amazon.com stock to cover their suppliers's invoices? Or are they growing so fast that, even selling at a loss, this month's cash influx is bigger enough continue to pay last month's bills?

> > Amazon isn't the only one, this is actually a general question; why,
> > say, doesn't, Yahoo buy Gateway 2000?
>
> Why should they? Hardware is like so second wave. Gateway - market cap
> $11 billion - has real earnings, and a P/E of 33, Yahoo of 1564.77
> (according to Yahoo's own quote page). Mixing Gateway shares with
> Yahoo's would only dilute their value!

Because if ("if"!) this bubble pops, buildings, parking lots, expresso machines and PC factories will still probably retain at least a fair part of their value. If you had got into Amazon or Yahoo real early, or you were a senior partner there with stock options, and you had ridden it up thousands of percent, wouldn't you squirrel away a sizable piece of your unlikely gains in companies with lots more reasonable P/Es? Are these Internet high-flyers utterly fearless? Damn, if I owned two percent of Amazon, I'd sure be tempted to trade one percent of Amazon for ten percent of a solid thing like B&N, even at the risk that my paper profits might be somewhat lower over the next three months. I guess I'm thinking more like a individual with his own personal fortune tied up in shares of stock than a manager of some organization's portfolio.

Suppose you arbitrarily define a "bubble stock" as one with a P/E greater than 100, or one whose capitalized value has increased by 500% or more in the last five years. (You might choose different figures than 100 and 500.) Is the dollar volume of "bubble stocks" like Amazon and Yahoo large enough that, say, a ten or twenty percent overflow of their value (by nervous investors at least in part bailing out) could significantly inflate the prices of traditional blue chips? I know the DJA is at record levels and it seems like a P/E of 33 is pretty high but it isn't absurdly high.

Thanks a lot for the information.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net