How much cash has Amazon Books got?

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Fri Mar 19 06:17:26 PST 1999

Jordan Hayes wrote:

> From WKiernan at concentric.net Thu Mar 18 20:55:30 1999
>
> Then what do they use to pay their bills from Ingram and Fed Ex
> with? I mean, they couldn't sending out shares of Amazon.com
> stock to cover their suppliers's invoices? Or are they growing
> so fast that, even selling at a loss, this month's cash influx
> is bigger enough continue to pay last month's bills?
>
> Make no mistake: Amazon is *not* selling books at a loss; their gross
> profit margins are around 20% (including incoming and outgoing shipping
> costs). They are net losing money because they spend so damn much on
> marketing and sales and advertising.
>
> /jordan

Given the accounting games these companies play, it'd be hard to tell whether or not those gross margins are meaningful. Even if they were, how much _more_ do they spend on marketing and sales than a typical bookstore? And, more importantly, can you sell books on the internet without those expenses?

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 272 4808 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique