Giggly Guys

digloria at mindspring.com digloria at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 20 07:42:21 PST 1999

say, greg, what's the price of olive oil lately? and do you still think prices are on the rise? anyway,

greg writes
>GN: I don't have this image of porn.

so your image is....?

>But I bet if you
>weighed it or measured it by pixels or whatever porn
>featuring women is far greater by any quantitative
>measure than porn featuring men. And if you throw in
>advertising, even more. Advertising to men eroticizes
>women. But advertising to women *also* eroticizes
>women.

i'd say that most porn and adverts *objectify* women's bodies.

>There probably is some linkage to "porn" but
>I'm not sure what it is.

similar use of camera techniques, lighting, etc

Bruno S. probably knows more than i do.

>Well, there's the world, and there's the world I live
>in.

well hey, i didn't live altogether that far from you a year ago.

>The world I live in has very little Playboys and
>very few children and none of adolescent age.

maybe you should get a bit more of each? even if only temporarily. say, maybe you might wanna borrow mine for a month this summer?

> I'm
>very much out of touch with cultural innovations. But
>in the world that I grew up in, taking a Playboy to
>elementary skool would have been a big deal.

i'd imagine it still is. we're talking about SI. remember?

>Taking a
>swimsuit issue (of the old variety) probably would have
>passed. I don't know what our enlightened authorities
>do about SI in its current mode.

i hadn't heard that they did much of anything. i'm sure that there was much secrecy with regard to the whole thing.

But I bring it up
>because it would be one indicator of what "society"
>considers "normal." (in the sense of ought to be,
>rather than what is. The usual focus is to make kidz
>live in whhat ought to be, while they watch us do what
>is)

well you already suggested that it was the norm to bring SI to school in your day. so why not today. i don't believe my kid and his mates had much of a clue as to precisely what they'd find inside the pages of SI. he sure knows now. and yes, his openess about it is a product of living in a home where i've always been pretty open about sex, naked bodies, sexuality. perhaps unusual, but that's the kind of home i grew up in and i think i turned out a-ok. my kid talks to me about sex ed class and SI and playboy, sometimes more than i want to know, but that's the price i think i pay for, more than likely, raising a kid who'll not be repressed, who'll feel free to tell me about these things, who'll be careful and treat his partners with respect, who might be able to negotiate the range of meanings sex might have for him and others. and this is a major focus of our conversations most of the time because he gets plenty of the giggly stuff from the friends and plenty of the clinical sex=death from the school. so i try to balance it out with other kinds of talk: love, responsibility, respect, commitment, what does it all mean? etc.

kelley

"The rest obsequate[d]"