foodstuffs

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Mar 21 19:33:39 PST 1999

[Catherine, has your address changed?]

Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 13:49:16 +0900 To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com From: Catherine Driscoll <catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au> Subject: Re: foodstuffs

Kelley and Angie:

>...where do they grow mangoes, because
>i'm going to move there, gorge and die.

Australia, Kelley. Ok not only Australia, but fabulous mangoes are grown here. At Christmas, or just before Christmas, mango season!

>>you can feed me anything, and when you come to melbourne i'll show you
>>some really great food.
>
>oh i can only imagine. for now.
>
>>hey, catherine, betcha the coffee isn't as good in adelaide.

Bitch. I lived in Melbourne for 6 years, doing my doctorate and then teaching. I miss the food. I miss the rain (alhtough ok it is raining in Adelaide today). I miss the coffee even more. Oh marvellous Melbourne.

>oh cat's busy right now. but i *know* that she said the coffee is awful.
>an email pal still in her teens calls adelaide a "hole" is this accurate,
>ya think?

This is true. Adelaide is a hole. But that's all relative of course. Compared to Melbourne or Sydney it's a hole. Compared to Perth or Tamworth it's pretty good. Compared to say Toledo or Houston it's wonderful.

>>rob, is gus's still the only place in canberra one can get a decent
>>coffee?
>
>where in hell is canberra anyway rob. oh i could surf and find out. but
>do tell.... punishment for my ethnocentrism'

Stranded in the middl eof New South Wales is the Australian Capital Territory, a weird land from whence come Xrated videos and political decisions. Canberra is a sizeable part of the ACT. The myth perpetuated in primary schools is that MElbourne and Sydney would never agree on which was to be capital so they dumped this imaginary land half way in between. Culturally at least it's closer to outer suburban Sydney than anything in Melbourne. It's flat and very organised and makes me think of nothing more than a giant carport tacked on to the edge of the rest of Australia as an afterthought. Even the lake is fake.

Catherine