Kazan the Scab

billy elgin billy_e11 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 22 22:54:22 PST 1999

I was fascinated to note the audience reaction. A few people like WB stood up immediately, and not with much company. But they ended up being joined by the bulk of the audience. The ones remaining seated with their hands folded looked scared -- like they had put their property on a losing number (which they may have).

Alex: Actually, Roger Ebert reported from the awards that by his

estimate only 40 percent applauded. The LA Times had a good article today (Monday) reporting that while the academy's camera's made it look like a lot of people stood up and/or applauded only 20 percent of the audience actually stood up by one critic's estimate (he was seated in the audience). The article reported that the organizers of the event were quite cheered by the audience's response and that the size of the demonstration outside was respectable (500 to 600) with young folks in attendance, supporting the older blacklisted artists. The right wing counterdemonstration was only 60 at most, if I remember correctly.

Personally, I like Abe Polonsky's remark the best: it went something like, "If Kazan had pulled that shit in my old neighborhood on the lower east side, he would have been sent floating face down in the east river."

Alex (E.)