A 'Bad Writer' Bites Back by Judith Butler)

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Tue Mar 23 06:29:11 PST 1999

> >The object of the literary/cultural critic is not to enable people to
> >understand the periodic table or mathematical theorems; it
> is (or should
> >be) to help people at large understand the rights and
> responsibilities
> >that they have as social and political beings.
>
> LITERARY CRITICISM SHOULD DO THIS??!!??
>
> Shit, and I thought it was about interpreting and critiquing works of
> literature. Silly me.

Then you are disagreeing with Judith Butler, who puts her work in an explicitly political context.

> A wise man once told me that hagiography is the flipside of
> demonization.
> Likewise, a religious faith in "the people" is just as bad
> as feelings
> of contempt towards "the people."

To say I believe people have an innate sense of decency is not to say that I believe that decency is typically on display. Most often, it is buried or distorted by a culture that insists fear and greed are the only dependable driving forces of economic performance. Literary and cultural critics should help raise people's consciousness about the destructive effect that fear and greed have on society as a whole and individuals' own character; these critics should help people understand that society doesn't have to be the way it is -- that it can be guided by a sense of cooperation and compassion.

Carl Remick