Brookings Institute attacks Steelworkers

Tom Lehman uswa12 at lorainccc.edu
Tue Mar 23 07:50:21 PST 1999

Dear Doug and the LBOers,

Last night one of my pals brought me an op-ed from the Brookings Institute that had been published on Friday March 19th. The title of this artillery piece is Whistling Past Big Steel's Graveyard.

My pal was really agitated by this Brookings story and wanted to know who the Brookings Institute was anyway? I explained that the Brookings Institute is a big time Washington think tank, that has been sour on the steelworkers since the early 1980's. I also explained that Brookings generates propaganda on government policy and economic issues and that this story and similar stories would be showing up in newspapers and on Radio&TV all over the country. Brookings' got the big money backing and the clout to hurt us.

The Brookings Institute might as well understand that steelworkers are taking the bullshit that Brookings is generating personally!

Your email pal,

Tom L.