Brave Sir Robin (was Re: Giggly Guys)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Mar 23 17:44:53 PST 1999

Rob wrote:
>Sorry, just meant it doesn't seem polite to me to tell other people what
>they're thinking about, what they're anxious about, and what they're jokes
>really hide. Better to put your hypothesis to 'em and talk about it - like
>I thought you had. I thought, and mebbe I was just grumpy and unfair,
>Yoshie was going the extra yard and telling us. Sorry if not so, Yoshie.

Oh, going the extra yard (as well as spying out and making fun of male anxieties) I learned from, among others, Monty Python.

There's a scene in _Monty Python and the Holy Grail_ where a knight is followed by a retinue of musicians 'cheering' him up:

*** Bravely good Sir Robin, rode forth from Camelot, He was not afraid to die, oh brave Sir Robin, He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways, Brave brave brave Sir Robin.

He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp And have his eyes gouged out and his elbows broken; To have his kneecaps split and his body burned away And his limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Sir Robin.

His head smashed in, and his heart gouged out, And his liver removed, and his bowels unplugged, And his nostrils raped, and his bottom burned off, And his penis split...and his... ***

At this point, Sir Robin says, "Er, that's...that's enough music for a while, lads."

Yoshie