policy wonk wannabe seeks reading list

Seth Gordon sgordon at kenan.com
Wed Mar 24 10:33:38 PST 1999

I'd like to improve my knowledge of economic theory (both "mainstream" and "radical"). Ideally, I'd like to be able to read the sorts of essays that economists write when they argue with one another, so I can make up my own mind on the issues without having to trust someone else to pre-chew my intellectual food for me.

I would prefer original sources to textbooks, since (a) I don't need to have material summarized and condensed enough for me to learn it in the space of one college semester; (b) college textbook prices tend to be stratospheric.

My background: When I was an undergrad, I majored in political science with a minor in women's studies; the poli-sci classes I took tended to deal with (a) political philosophy; (b) grass-roots political movements. I took two semesters of calculus and one semester of statistics (I hope that's enough to handle most of the math that appears in economics papers today).

What would y'all recommend?

-- perl -le"for(@w=(q[dm='r 0rJaa,u0cksthe';dc=967150;dz=~s/d/substrdm,\ (di+=dc%2?4:1)%=16,1ordi-2?'no':'Perl h'/e whiledc>>=1;printdz]))\ {s/d/chr(36)/eg;eval;}#In Windows type this all on 1 line w/o '\'s" == seth gordon == sgordon at kenan.com == standard disclaimer == == documentation group, kenan systems corp., cambridge, ma ==