Kazan/HUAC

Wed Mar 24 11:00:01 PST 1999

>What are 20 million dead Soviets? Chopped liver?
>
>Doug

You are right--I was thinking *politicians* rather than *people* (a source of many grave political errors in our world today).

I think every city should have a broad avenue or a main square called "Stalingrad." And even if the U.S. and western European governments were too stupid to realize that Marshall Plan-scale aid to the FSU was in their long-term national interest, they should not compound their stupidity by immorality in failing to recognize that they had an opportunity to pay back to their children a part of the immense debt we all owe to WWII-era Soviet citizens...

But it remains the case that Churchill, Daladier, and Roosevelt were the only political leaders--and their parties the only political parties--who tried to place the countries in which they had influence or led the government in harm's way.

Others (like the Russian political leaders) were eager to send Hitler as many raw materials as possible and conduct propaganda campaigns to undermine his enemies until the Nazis cross the border, or (like the Swiss political leaders) were eager to profit as much as possible from refugees from Hitler while not lifting a finger to oppose him, or (like the Swedish political leaders) were eager to appease him by providing him with as much high-grade iron ore as he wished and liberal transity rights for German troops, or (like the Irish political leaders) happy to put their heads in the sand and ignore what was going on.

I should probably add Yugoslav political leaders--both Tito and the leaders of the 1941 coup that prevented a Yugoslav-German alliance (and triggered Hitler's attack on Yugoslavia)--to the list of those who sought to oppose Hitler...

Brad DeLong