Anything Worth Learning Is a Hurt (was Re: Giggly Guys)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 24 17:22:29 PST 1999

Hi Charles: <<There is a legend about Jeremiah the enslaved who was so clever he got his master to agree to free him if he could make the master laugh. A few seconds after that deal Jeremiah told a subtle joke that made the master laugh unthinkingly and Jeremiah was freed.>>

For a female example from similar legends, we may point to Scheherazade:

"Scheherazade was the daughter of the Grand Vizier of the Indies, and she begged to become the wife of the Sultan Schahriah so that she could save the lives of other women whom the sultan was determined to murder. The reason for his killings was that he had discovered his sultana had been unfaithful, and he swore to take a fresh wife every night and have her put to the sword at daybreak so that she could never betray him. Scheherazade's plan was that she would become his wife, and would so entrance him with the stories she told him that he would be unable to resist letting her live in order to continue the tales. She sustained this ruse for a thousand and one nights and so saved the lives of a thousand women. After the thousand and one nights the sultan revoked the decree." <http://www.carmelbird.com/foot_scheherazade.html>

A rather tragic example, from our point of view. But her story highlights the problems of both the sexist production and consumption of porn and the fact that women are asked to humor & entertain men so our lives may be spared.

<<On the other hand, Frederick Douglass, a self-emancipated slave, who ran away, said, based on dealing with masters, "Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has and it never will.">>

I like that much better. I'd say many feminists would agree with me here. (For instance, that's one of the reasons why feminist art historians have been fascinated by Artemisia Gentileschi's painting "Judity Decapitating Holofernes." I like the painting of the same subject by Caravaggio as well.)

Yoshie