Steel Imports Drop

Tom Lehman uswa12 at lorainccc.edu
Thu Mar 25 10:26:39 PST 1999

Dear Henry,

One of the tricky parts of this debate is that we lack a good way to monitor steel imports. The import figures maybe as much as 6 months behind the real numbers. The industry is usually the best barometer because they can tell by their order books what is really happening in the steel marketplace. Although, this has to be balanced by better government monitoring.

Recently, George Becker, in New Steel magazine( a trade journal) both made fun of and harshly criticized the big steel executives for supporting and in some cases giving money to politicians and groups that were for NAFTA, FAST TRACK and the WTO new world order etc. etc. Mocking them for smooching up to both Clinton and Wall Street.

Btw, if someone wanted to smuggle somthing into this country all they would have to do is encase it in steel.:o)

Your email pal,

Tom L.