Protest against the Bombing

Margaret mairead at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 25 10:41:53 PST 1999

Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>) wrote:

>In Columbus, Ohio, we had a protest against the US/NATO bombing of Serbia &
>Kosovo today.

I'm curious. I hardly ever these days play the apologist for US imperialism, but the attacks on Serbia -- regardless of true motivation! -- seem at least to be directed at the right target. Too often in the past, as Alinsky and Chomsky among others have pointed out, we would have almost mindlessly supported the status quo instead, no matter how disgusting.

If we actually do think self-determination is a Good Idea, and if we agree that Kosovo is ethnically albanian, and if we agree that the Serbs are using their superior military strength to suppress the desire for self-determination ...then why would we want to protest the US bombing of the Serbs?