Internationale

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 25 15:59:06 PST 1999

steve at panix.com wrote:

>My heart rose when I heard you open your show with Billy Bragg's
>Internationale. As long as this view guides WBAI (and the national board
>doesn't destroy the station's independence) there is surely hope, for the
>station, and for those of us who rely on it.

Thanks. I thought it was the best way to make the transition from the memorial mode to the "normal."

It was quite an extraordinary scene at the WBAI studio - all sorts of people there, united by grief and a desire to go on.

Samori's family is in a pickle - they're going to have a hard time paying the funeral expenses, not to mention paying for the rest of their lives. The Pacifica national foundation is "looking into" offering some assistance, but I wouldn't expect much out of that. Anyone who admired the guy and who wants to help out his widow and three kids, there's a Samori Marksman Memorial Trust Fund, c/o WBAI, 120 Wall St - 10th fl, New York NY 10005.

Doug