Bombing and the media (was Re: Protest against the Bombing)

J-C Helary helary at eskimo.com
Thu Mar 25 18:33:36 PST 1999

Le [25/03/99 11:05], Yoshie Furuhashi a écrit :

> In Columbus, Ohio, we had a protest against the US/NATO bombing of Serbia &
> Kosovo today.
>
> Any info on protests elsewhere?
>
> Yoshie

In Japan, the media seem to have reacted only the first day. NHK (the national Ú tv network) had a special news session from 8.30 to 9.00 (when they have shows Ú for the housewives usualy) when they talked about Nato decisions (a few shot Ú of Yougoslavia under the bombs) and mostly about the two (North Korean ?) Ú ships that had been seen in Japanese waters.

The same day Asahi Shinbun (a big national daily news paper) had one fifth of Ú the first page about the decision (well I did not check inside but the big Ú news was the Korean (?) ships).

Today, no special news session on NHK and NOTHING in Asahi Shinbun, half of it Ú is about the local elections (governors and local assemblies in all the Ú prefectures).

Last night, there was a group from a workers union in front of the train Ú station (I live in a remote part of the country, nowhere near Tokyo or Osaka) Ú and they had anti-militarist slogans but it was mostly directed against the Ú use of the marine against the above mentioned ships and the government's Ú gesticulation to strenghten the military aliance with the US.

I checked the french "Le Monde" yesterday and today. The first day there was a good editorial and that's it. Now it is only accounts of what has been bombed etc... "Liberation" is no better. I guess the intelectuals and other opinion makers were taken by surprise. There was no indication of any protest in France (not on the online versions of the papers). It seems that Prez Chirac and Prime Jospin will have an official word on tv anytime soon.

Yougoslavia is very far from Japan !!! (Lucky me :-)

Yours,

Jean Christophe Helary

Kita-cho 5-2693 Kopo Kasuga 505

Takamatsu 760-0080 Kagawa