Protest against the Bombing

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 25 19:47:59 PST 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

>The fundamental question is whether the lives of many innocent people are
>under immediate, deadly threat at the hands of the Serbs.

Sure they are, but so are the lives of many other innocent people all over the place - Kurds, at the hands of Turkey for example, where the casualties have been far greater. But Turkey, being a NATO member and a loyal stooge of the United States, gets a free ride. Africa is a goddamn "humanitarian catastrophe," to use the phrase I keep hearing on TV, and the U.S. won't even forgive its debts. These rescue missions are very selective, aren't they? Clinton doesn't have a strategy, or a foreign policy really; he's alienated the Russians seriously, and has no idea what NATO's doing in the former Yugoslavia. I don't even think there's any grand imperial design behind this.

Clinton's dropped more bombs than Reagan by now, right?

Doug