profit rate falling!

Fri Mar 26 06:50:50 PST 1999

Michael, if investments are concentrated in the most highly transient forms of fixed capital, viz. info technology, then this quicker turnover of fixed capital in itself should depress the profit rate (and why have investments been concentrated there?) Of course a more advanced telecommunications structure may shorten circulation time and allow just in time ordering that prevents the lock up of value in inventories. It seems to me that no one has yet studied the opposite effects of quicker turnover of fixed and circulating capital on the profit rate. The computer revolution depresses the profit rate by speeding up the depreciation of information technology (Blecker has argued that the shortage of savings is traceable to the quick turnover of computers?) while improving profitability on the other hand by decreasing circulation time and freeing capital from its idle materialisation in inventories. At any rate, the computer revolution does not have a clear cut beneficial effect on the profit rate.

Yours, r