[PEN-L:4546] Re: Re: Protest against the Bombing

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Sat Mar 27 11:40:56 PST 1999

As usual Paul Phillips provides informed and nuanced commentary regarding the former Yugoslavia. I shall comment on several points that either call for further clarification or regarding which there is real disagreement.

I accept Paul's remarks about language, although the point about no discontinuity on the ground still holds. It is a gradual change. However, Slovenian stands out as the most distinctive of the South (Yugo) Slav languages. Nevertheless it is a fact that one can manage pretty well in Slovenia in Bulgarian, something I have observed in person. (BTW, "cebula" is onion in Polish too, showing a more northern Slavic influence in Slovenian.)

There is serious dispute whether or not Macedonian should be viewed as a distinct language or not. In Milovan Djilas's _Conversations with Stalin_ (Djilas was Montenegrin) he recounts the exiled Bulgarian Communist leader (Zhivkov?) asking him as his first remark whether or not what the Macedonians spoke was closer to Bulgarian or to Serbo- Croatian. Hmmm.

It would not surprise me if the current Croatian leaders were attempting to differentiate their language from that of the Serbians. Again, I note that many of these official distinctions have been imposed from above for just such political purposes. As a personal anecdote I note that in the early 1970s I visited the Three Brothers restaurant in the Serbian neighborhood of Milwaukee, Wisconsin (an excellent restaurant and still there) and, while waiting to be sitted, naively asked the bartender if he spoke "Serbo-Croatian." I was rather coldly informed that "there is no such thing as Serbo-Croatian." Oh.

With respect to the figures on income distribution, my source for the earlier Slovene-to-Kosovan ratio is Fred Singleton and Bernard Carter, _The Economy of Yugoslavia_, 1982, London: Croom Helm, p. 117. The precise number was 3.3 and for 1947. I would have to go dig the book up to find their source. For 1988 I have as "per capita social product" in US dollars, $5,918 for Slovenia and $662 for Kosovo, about nine to one. The source is Evan Kraft, "Evaluating Regional Policy in Yugoslavia," _Comparative Economic Studies_, 1992, vol. 13, p. 13. I stand to be corrected by better sources on all of these, and personally have always found the idea that Yugoslav policies led to greater regional inequalities to be rather depressing.

I have read much of the Albanian efforts to "ethnically cleanse" formerly Serb-inhabited villages during the period of autonomy (dating from 1945). I have not seen details of how this was carried out, although I doubt that it was done in as brutal a manner as the recent Serbian activities in both Bosnia- Herzegovina and Kosovo have been.

BTW, there seem to be considerable differences in various publications about the exact time that the ethnic Albanians became a majoritiy in Kosovo and it may have predated WW II, although it almost certainly did not predate the twentieth century. Barkley Rosser Professor of Economics James Madison University Harrisonburg, VA 22807 USA -----Original Message----- From: phillp2 at Ms.UManitoba.CA <phillp2 at Ms.UManitoba.CA> To: pen-l at galaxy.csuchico.edu <pen-l at galaxy.csuchico.edu> Date: Thursday, March 25, 1999 7:54 PM Subject: [PEN-L:4546] Re: Re: Protest against the Bombing

Although I am in large agreement with Barkley's post (there are several other matters on which I do disagree), I think the comment below is quite factually wrong. Whereas Serbian and Croatian are for the most part very similar (or at least were until Tudjman began to change the language so that it no longer resembled Serbian) as are, I believe, Macedonian and Bulgarian, Slovenian is quite different though related. Slovenians do not understand Serbian or vice versa. Only about 40-50 per cent of the words are the same. For instance, the word for worker in Serbo-Croat is 'radnik', in Slovenian 'delavec'; onion in S-C is 'luk', in Slov it is 'cebula' (to give two examples where the words are totally unrelated.) Furthermore, the Slovenes have a different grammar involving not only singular and plural but also 'dual'. Newscasts on Slovenian TV orginating in Zagreb or Belgrade usually are subtitled simply because many Slovenes don't understand Serbo-Croat. And so on.

I also believe Barkley's figures on income disparities are wrong. In the 1950s the ratio of Slovenia to Kosovo was closer to 15 to one and declined up to the 1980s to the area of 5 to 1 before increasing again as the decentalization of economic powers and the decline of national economic policy increased the regionalization of the Yugoslav economy. Furthermore, the autonomy of Kosovo had lead the Albanians to set up their own schools which specialized in Albanian culture and language to the detriment of technical and scientific studies. (Also I have been told when I was there in the late 1980s shortly before the breakup, but can not verify, that there was strong islamic opposition to educating female students particularly in practical or work-related areas.) The lack of 'human capital' made it very difficult to invest in economic development despite the large funds made available to Kosovo through the Fund for the Faster Development of Less Developed Regions. As a result, taxes transfered primarily from Slovenia and Croatia to Kosovo for economic development projects was largely wasted in projects that never became operational or were absorbed in massive cultural white elephants such as the national library in Pristina. The autonomy of Kosovo prevented the Serb or Yugoslavian governments from planning these investments in any way that could be integrated into a national development strategy. Meanwhile, the Albanians had been practicing an ongoing and quite vicious process of ethnic cleansing of Serbs from Kosovo. It is interesting that, in the name of preventing ethnic cleansing, the US is giving military aid to the greatest ethnic cleansing operation in the history of Yugoslavia.

By the way, isn't it time to begin the real impeachment of Bill Clinton for real 'high crimes and misdemeanors'?

Paul Phillips, Economics, University of Manitoba

From: "J. Barkley Rosser, Jr." <rosserjb at jmu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Copies to: <pen-l at galaxy.csuchico.edu> Subject: [PEN-L:4539] Re: Protest against the Bombing Date sent: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:27:47 -0500 Send reply to: pen-l at galaxy.csuchico.edu

> OK, sigh, I guess I'll get into this one, although
> I view it as pretty murky and not an easy call, although
> I think that ultimately this bombing is a mistake and
> could well lead to a really ugly mess. I hope not.
> But let's get some of the history right for starters:
><snip>
Although Slovenian,