reconsideration

digloria at mindspring.com digloria at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 27 19:11:27 PST 1999

Doug, you've taken severe criticism in the past, so i hope you can deal with this. Your decision to boot Gary off LBO is completely irrational.

Gary (as bruno s) joined LBO a month ago. He didn't join as Bruno S. in order to play games but because he has a crummy server and couldn't always use a work account and read LBO at Kinko's or the Library. Thus far, Gary's posted 5-6 times: twice to Yoshie and twice to doyle and on the porn thread. The posts to Yoshie were quite serious and would have made for an interesting thread about the author/reader, derrida, etc. The posts to doyle were flames, of sorts, however, it certainly wasn't a flame that completely dismissed doyle as incapable of a conversation. Indeed, Gary (as Bruno s.) actually tried to engage doyle in conversation. This hardly constitutes a reason to be kicked off a list. Gary didn't just call Doyle an asshole and leave it at that. in fact, contrary to WDK, Gary never used any offensive language whatsoever. Doyle cussed like a sailor which Rakesh thought was so funny. Gary, however, rightly pointed out that Doyle was unreasonably obsessed about certain things. Thank god, because I was getting just a bit tired of Doyle's idiocy (e.g, viagara thread, AA thread, etc) Gary then went on to engage Doyle in a conversation. Hardly, flammage severe enough to require a boot.

Secondly, if you reckon that folks involved in the events that led up to doyle's ridiculous and abusive outburst ought to be kicked off the list, then you ought to kick me off the list as well. it is very clear that I played a bigger role in inciting Doyle than anyone else. read Doyle's post again: it was very much about me and Doyle was the one who took up list space even after i responded off list. Gary (as bruno s.) had nothing to do with anything that occured most recently. Doyle made the decision to post abusive comments to the list in the first place. Doyle made the decision to forward off list mail and reply with more abuse and swearing. Gary didn't do anything of the sort. If you don't like the frivolity, then you'll have to kick a number of other subscribers off as well if you want to be consistent. Doyle was the asshole, not me and not Gary. But, if you boot Gary then you have to boot me because, on your logic, people who incited or contributed to Doyle's ire are just as responsible as Doyle. Well, Doug, I'm the biggest contributor to Doyle's ire, aren't i?

But, quite frankly, this position above is Bull Shit. If this is the way you feel, then i must say that I completely disagree with you. This is a completely unreasonable position. Why? because Doyle's outburst was Doyle's responsibility, not mine and not Gary's. Did you deserve Chavez's harassment recently at BAD, Did I? NO. Neither Gary nor I deserved what Doyle dished out recently. Furthermore, why would Gary know that Doyle reacts in such violent ways. And, second, why should Gary get booted off LBO after five posts? None of these posts were so awfully offensive that the avg person couldn't have dealt with them in a civil manner. Doug, your attitude here is akin to the attitude that suggests that victims are responsible for their abuse or the rape or whatever. Neither Gary nor I are responsible for Doyle's recent idiocy. And yet, in kicking Gary off the list, you have made both me and Gary feel responsible. You never gave Gary a chance to engage with anyone at LBO and you can hardly say that he doesnt' contribute to BAD now can you?

If you don't like the particular way Gary flamed at LBO, then i'd argue that you should off list him and tell him to play nice. But to boot Gary off the list completely goes against everything you've ever said and done regarding free speech and open dialogue and debate on LBO and at BAD.

kelley