DeLong thinks fascism leads to democracy

NM nillo at tao.agoron.com
Sun Mar 28 06:37:13 PST 1999

-----Original Message----- From: Brad De Long <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Sunday, March 28, 1999 9:58 AM Subject: Re: Kazan/HUAC

>>Compared to fascism and royalism, and
>>the immense corruption of the current
>>democracy [in Greece], Bulgarian-style
>>politics would not have been much worse or even
>>worse at all...
>>

>I take it that the answer to my question is "yes": that you do believe
>that, from the standpoint of the people's livelihood and happiness, by and
>large it didn't matter which side of the Iron Curtain a European country
>wound up on after World War II.

That's a very different answer than the one I gave. A Bulgarian/Greece under the junta comparison is very different than a US/USSR comparison, a Canada/Albania comparison or an anywhere/anywhere comparison. Very obnoxious of you, and very dishonest. I can see why you spend your time on-line rather than in RL where twisting people's words like that would get your teeth knocked out of your head.

Your snipping of my comments to you, and changing the subject thread even though we are no longer talking about Kaza or HUAC are two more signs of intellectual dishonesty. I'll repat them:

>>Your extraordinary claim is that the Churchill installation of virtual
>>fascists is what led to the democracy, such as it is, in Greece today.
>>People who make extraordinary claims need evidence of an extraordinary
>>amount and quality if they want their claim taken seriously.

>>So your claim is that fascism leads to democracy. Demonstrate or retract.

It is very depressing to see the Left in this country in shuch poor shape that a list on leftwing economic issues contains cheerleaders for fascism who engage in textual falsification and and cheerleaders for imperialism who insist that people's lives will be saved in spite of all reports of deaths increasing.