Separatism and Secession

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Mar 28 10:32:57 PST 1999

Nathan Newman wrote:

>What I find compelling about the Kosovan odyssey is a dogged dedication to
>nonviolent democratic action for over a decade - of people streaming to
>secret polling places to register their desire for freedom from repression.
>It was only with the brutal suppression of that movement and the more recent
>creation of tens of thousands of refugees that the violent option turned
>from an extreme position among the Kosovans into a broadly popular position.

Nathan, you could tell similar stories about people all over the world, places the U.S. and its junior partners aren't bombing now. Why this sudden and selective turn to "humanitarian bombing"? Heroic tales of streaming voters are being mobilized to defend an imperial mission. I really haven't heard any convincing explanation of the imperial mission, so I think that's what conversation should be about, not this arsenal of democracy twaddle.

Doug