"Humanitarian Bombing"

Annalee Newitz tabloid at jps.net
Sun Mar 28 14:28:58 PST 1999

Given that the term "white man's burden" originates with the culture of British imperialism, I think we can be certain that some moralizing was involved. It was somewhat similar to contemporary US rhetoric, actually--that idea that we *must* go to the dark part of the European continent (isn't post-Soviet Eastern Europe the "darkest" part of Europe?) and invade, although it's such a burden and we're only doing it for their own good.

Annalee

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Anyone know how British imperialism represented itself? Did it wear a
> "humanitarian" cloak, or is this a specifically American (moralizing)
> style? Was it more honest about "straight power concepts," as Kennan put it
> in that infamous memo?
>
> Doug

-- annalee newitz tabloid at jps.net http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~annaleen vox 415.668.0365

freelance writer and lecturer full coverage of . . . technology - pop culture - sexuality - academia