War & 'Public Relations,' or, 'Kuwaiti Babies Torn fromIncubators'

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Mon Mar 29 08:54:04 PST 1999

Yoshie,

I am someone who opposes the US actions in Kosovo and who (unfortunately accurately) forecast that the bombing would bring about the very humanitarian catastrophe that it was allegedly implemented to prevent. I also agree with much of your analysis of the reasons for the disintegration of Yugoslavia and exaggerated reporting of atrocities in various cases.

But, are you going to suggest that the reports we are now getting of mass emigration from Kosovo are inaccurate? Does the bombing actually justify the horrific actions that Milosevic is now carrying out, even if the reporting of them might be somewhat exaggerated?

It is one thing to forecast a catastrophe. It is quite another to applaud it or to attempt to justify it. I do not applaud any of the parties in this particular tragedy, and I certainly don't view Milosevic as some sort of hero. Barkley Rossre -----Original Message----- From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> To: pen-l at galaxy.csuchico.edu <pen-l at galaxy.csuchico.edu> Cc: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Sunday, March 28, 1999 6:45 PM Subject: War & 'Public Relations,' or, 'Kuwaiti Babies Torn fromIncubators'