Wrestlemania!

NM nillo at tao.agoron.com
Mon Mar 29 05:31:37 PST 1999

-----Original Message----- From: Sam Pawlett <epawlett at uniserve.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Monday, March 29, 1999 1:14 PM Subject: Re: Wrestlemania
>> No joke:
>>
>> Bob Backlund, former WWF champ, is seriously exploring running for
Congress
>> in Connecticut.
>>
>> Jerry "The King" Lawler, former MidSouth, USWA, AWA and World Class
champ,
>> has been asked to run for mayor of Memphis, Tennessee.
>>
>> "Nature Boy" Ric Flair, former NWA and current WCW champ is seriously
>> considering running for Senate in North Carolina.
>>
>> These are not to be confused with Hulk Hogan's announcement of a
>> Presidential run in 2000, which was just a work.
>>
>> Nick, who watches 15 hours of pro wrestling on television every week.
>
>Hey, you know what Kim Il Sung's favorite movie was? Rambo. You know what
his
>favorite TV program was? WWF. It was either him or his son that organized a
>pro-wrestling event in N.Korea a few years ago as a move towards
"normalizing"
>relations with the west. Looks like he had a better understanding of
N.American
>culture than he is usually given credit for.

Yeah, that was him. The Collision In Korea was actually the wrestling event with the largest audience in history, and used both Japanese and American talent, with the Japanese wrestlers getting the majority of the wins. The main event saw Japanese wrestling legend and Diet member Antonio Anoki (he has is own party, "Sports And Society" or something like that) pin Ric Flair.

I'd be surprised if Kim Il Dung got WWF tv though. WCW really has the Asian audience wrapped up.