Drudge: smelly Kubrick mean to cat

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 29 20:33:03 PST 1999

[more Drudge...]

HOUSEKEEPER FREAK-OUT: KUBRICK ONLY HAD TWO OUTFITS; PUNISHED CAT FOR BEING BAD

Reclusive film director Stanley Kubrick only had two sets of clothes, according to his former housekeeper Betty Crompton. And the master director once locked a cat in a room for three months for punishment, according to reports hitting London.

The housekeeper breaks her silence just weeks after Kubrick's death.

Crompton claims in the four years she worked for the SPACE ODYSSEY: 2001 director, she only ever saw him wear one outfit.

She says, "He had a large wardrobe closet which was completely empty. He wore one shirt and washed one, that was it. He even slept in it."

And the eccentric director didn't always love his pet cats.

Crompton says, "There was a bathroom that led off his study which was kept firmly locked. After three months the smell from the locked room became overpowering."

When it emerged that Kubrick had been keeping one of his cats locked up in the bathroom, to stop it from fighting with another cat, his housekeeper insisted she be allowed to clean it.

She says, "When I opened the door I was horrified at the state of the room. It took days to clean it. He thanked me afterwards, apologized and said it wouldn't happen again."