America policy towards Iraq (Was RE: Noam Chomsky on Kosovo)

curtiss_leung at ibi.com curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Tue Mar 30 01:11:02 PST 1999

An exchange on American policy towards Iraq:

>> Doug wrote about Saddam:

>>> but it's clear the U.S. didn't want to depose him,

>>> only shorten his leash a bit.

>> [Seth Ackerman]

>> Actually, they really do very much want to get rid of

>> Saddam, but they want to replace him with some clone from the

>> military, or perhaps a junta.

> Well, this is what I had in mind, along with Bush's decision to stop

> the war before marching on Baghdad (Eugene Genovese's main

> reservation in voting for Bush in '92, by the way).

Didn't the Busher himself recently write that deposing Saddam Hussein

wasn't on the agenda -- only getting him out of Kuwait? I thought

deposing Saddam in favor of one of his military chiefs only became an

objective under Clinton, and then only recently...

--

Curtiss