diary

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Wed Mar 31 20:54:18 PST 1999

from: Misa Djurkovic, Institute for European Studies in Belgrade Subject: NEOCOLONIALISM AND CAPITAL PUNISHMENT

1)Concerning plans and tactic of NATO in attacking Yugoslavia, you might find many interesting question. I'll try to pose one. During the first phase, NATO has attacked only static targets (factories, warehouses, radars for defence of towns, military and civil airports, fortresses, and AA Artillery). Due to "colateral damage" many civil objects were destroyed as well. Five(!) days after the beginning NATO has started to attack the very target they claimed they intend to attack: serbian military forces at Kosovo. What's the difference when you compare situation at the moment with the one from five days ago? According to Russian military experts NATO didn't have to much success in fighting Yugoslav AA Artillery and Aircrafts (not more than 5 shoot down while we have confirmed information for at least ten NATO aircrafts - these are not official information since they don't give any information about outcomes of NATO strikes; except about F-117 A ). But there have been ruining and damaging of: - many buildings - many other construction objects - many factories with complete technology - many kinds of different civic technology - radars and other parts of military technology... There was even talking about possible targeting bridges, railways, roads...

NATO claims that it wants to destroy all the facilities of Serbia to ever make war. (It seems more that it wants to destroy all the facilities of Serbians to ever live and earn normally: Car factory Zastava in Kragujevac which employs 38 000 thousands of workers was bombed during first attacks; now these people every night make a circle of their bodies around their factory .). Destroying the factories which produce reserves for army could be justified only if they plan to make war for long time , since at the moment Serbian army definitely has to have enough of it. Does NATO plan to make a long war with serbian army? But remember, basically they wanted just to prevent humanitarian catastrophe, which can't be done by long war. So why have they destroyed all these objects and why they want to continue with it? I think that we should ask another question which might help us. What's gonna happen with Yugoslav economics after this Aggression? Definitely Yugoslavia will be destroyed and all those things (including technology stuff) will have to be repaired and replaced. Who will give money for that? Russians? China, India, Taiwan? No; but western companies (take a look at Bosnia and Republika Srpska). Even if they give you credits for free or with a small rates, they definitely earn since you find yourself tied to their technology, and economically completely dependent on them. How is it called? Yes, NEOCOLONIALISM!

2)And one more great thing in which NATO "helped" us. Capital punishment (or death penalty). It has recently been abolished from Yugoslav Constitution and I find it as a one of the biggest successes of our hard fighting for democracy, constitutionalism and normal life values. Tonight, Minister of Justice in Srebian Government, mister Dragoljub Jankovic proposed that it should be introduced again while we have the State of War. I don't have reasons to doubt that it will be introduced in these circumstances (no independent electronic media and press, civil society is almost completely isolated and destroyed).