Even Worse

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 31 21:23:29 PST 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

>> And who are they? The party that gave us WW I, WW II, and the wars in
>Korea
>> & Vietnam? Not to mention the CIA, NATO, the Bretton Woods institutions,
>> and GATT/WTO? Are they the ones who do imperialism right or wrong?
>
>[ "gave us WW II" ?!?! ] First Doug channels Bob Dole, doing the "Democrat
>wars" rap.

Ok, so you concede the rest? That leaves the Democrats as the undisputed party of imperialism and war, and Bob Dole as basically right.

>> As it turns out, Kosovo has been about as bloody this year as, say,
>Atlanta. You can measure the deaths not in the hundreds, but dozens. (I'm
>not trying to deny Milosevic's brutality here . . .
>
>. . . Doug channels Tony Snow, who wouldn't know a fact if it jumped into
>his pants and burrowed up his ass, and over whom I would choose Slick Willy,
>cigars, cruise missiles, and all, any day of the week . . .

So the numbers are wrong? 1.5 million Iraqis haven't died, vs. 2,000 Kosovans? Got a better count?

As Chris Caldwell points out in New York Press this week, 20 years ago, the cruise missile liberals were endorsing the idea that Nixon's bombing of Cambodia gave us Pol Pot, but now don't see any connection between the B-52s and 500,000 fresh refugees.

Doug