Pinter on NATO "bandits"

CounterPunch sitka at teleport.com
Sun May 2 15:30:10 PDT 1999

Brad DeLong wrote on Andrei Schleifer:

>Hey. That's my freshman roommate you're talking about here...
>
>And as best I can tell, he's innocent--innocent of violating Harvard's
>conflict-of-interest policies, and innocent of the AID charge of diverting
>AID monies to his own bank account.

Well, that remains to be seen, I guess. There is certainly a nasty odor to the whole HIID affair, which Schleifer was at the epicenter of.

Even so don't you think it's slightly odd that the AEA says it didn't even discuss the pending investigations of Schleifer on corruption charges prior to awarding him the John Bates Clark medal? (This is not, of course, to mention the human misery and official corruption let loose by the Russian privatization schemes Schleifer, Hay and Chubais authored, which the AEA wouldn't be expected to trifle with.)

I hear from people at Treasury that Larry Summers played a decisive role in engineering the award for his disciple.

Jeffrey St. Clair

___________________________________________________________ ARE YOU A FREELANCE WRITER? Then you should be a member of the NATIONAL WRITERS UNION! The only labor union committed to improving the economic and working conditions of all freelance writers. For more information visit our web site <http://www.nwu.org>, call (212) 254-0279, or email <nwu at nwu.org>.