Pinter on NATO "bandits"

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Mon May 3 10:37:15 PDT 1999

Brad,

Well, I don't know what the inside scoop on Andrei's personal scandal is. I know that a lot of people in Russia are pretty offended by his having received the award. But then, a lot of them are offended by quite a few things going on over here right now...

I must grant that Andrei has done quite a few interesting things in a number of areas, some of them involving financial markets with you and Summers and Waldmann...

I do share your opinion of his views of government which I find a bit bizarre. Of course I'm not sure whether the scandals in which he is at least peripherally involved, if not more so, provide evidence for his case or not...

With regard to the transition issue I would suggest that things are not quite as clearcut as the "Harvard/IMF consensus" that you basically repeat (and which has been published ad nauseum in the JEP). It certainly is true that if one cooks up some "liberalization index" and then runs a regression of it against per capita GDP growth in the last five years or so over a sample of "transition economies." one gets a significant positive correlation, despite some outliers.

But I would suggest that this is not as simple as it appears and that what may be more important are the details of what is going on. For example, you list the Czech Republic as a great success story. But it has gone into recession after a major flop of its shock therapy program (arguably "just an outlier"). To pick on one crucial element, privatization, it is now pretty clear that rapid privatization is not a good idea and has generally led to very bad outcomes, with Russia and the Czech Republic being prime examples.

Curiously, Poland, which you pose as a highly reformed economy (and it is) has been much slower to privatize. There remains a much larger state-owned sector in Poland than there is in either Russia or the CR (although Poland has pretty much always maintained private ownership in agriculture). In effect, Poland has followed more the model of China, with at best a gradual to non-existent privatization of the large SOEs and most of the private sector development coming from newly established enterprises.

What seems to be much more significant is the removal of state subsidies and the soft budget constraint. This was done in Poland and so the SOEs have had to behave in an efficient manner (leading unfortunately to the high unemployment rate that lies behind the inability of any government in Poland to get itself reelected), whereas the officially privatized firms in Russia and the CR continued to get propped up and have not restructured.

Another problem has to do with data on living standards, with much of it not reflecting accurate PPP measures. Thus you claim that things are not good in Belarus or Ukraine. I would grant that for the latter, but in Belarus prices for many items remain lower and the simple estimates of per capita GDP understate the quality of life, especially also as more of the old social safety net that does not get counted is still in place (free medical care, etc.).

BTW, another element in all this that does not generally get talked about is income distribution, with that having varied more than almost any variable across these economies as transition has proceeded. That is not clearly tied to "degrees of reform" with some highly reformed economies having gotten extremely unequal distributions of income (Estonia, Lithuania) and some less reformed ones also having gotten highly unequal distributions of income (Russia, Ukraine). Likewise some reformed ones still have fairly equal distributions (Slovakia, CR) and also some unreformed ones (Belarus, Romania).

An important element in this may be the degree of corruption that appears to be linked with the degree of inequality of income. That also seems to be linked more broadly with the nature of the transition process above and beyond its measured degree of liberalization. For the crucial and original paper on this, see one by Rosser and Rosser, :-), "Divergent Distributional Dynamics in Transitional Economies," available on my website at http://cob.jmu.edu/rosserjb. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Brad De Long <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Sunday, May 02, 1999 11:54 PM Subject: Re: Pinter on NATO "bandits"