Dems (the system sucks!)

kelley digloria at mindspring.com
Mon May 3 11:12:06 PDT 1999

>2. Proportional system makes partiers more responsive to minority concerns.
>It is so, because even a small number of votes transates into a political
>gain - a greater number of seats in the parliament.

given that the political structure of the major players who represent minority interests is already largely shaped by and mirrors the operative dynamics of the dominant parties, i'm wondering just how much these parties are going to be more responsive to minority concerns. not even to mention that it's entirely unclear to me that minority concerns are even unitary. oh and are women a 'minority' concern here? just curious.

kelley "handsomely equipped to fail"