Sad question about the nature of the Democratic party

Tom Lehman uswa12 at lorainccc.edu
Mon May 3 10:57:27 PDT 1999

California is a big state!

Let's say that Mike Perelman the singing cowboy economist from Chico decides that he wants to through his cowboy hat into a statewide democratic primary. Well the first thing Mike's got to think about is what his employer thinks of the idea. Naturally Mike's boss is going to think---hmm this could be very good or this could be very bad. But, let's say that doesn't count in this case.

So, then we have to look at what kind of personal cash does Mike want to invest in his campaign, just seed money, to raise money. Even being low budget and highly creative your looking at kissing at least $100,000 dollars good-bye. Maybe more. Maybe a lot more. Will campaign finance reform change the inital seed money requirements---I doubt it.

Then there is the personal wear and tear factor of running all over a big state---at all hours of the day and night.

Now it might be possible to put your own Democrat state party together or at worst you might be able to bring rational people together to work on the big issues. Of course think of all the friends you would make in places like Redding, Red Bank or Red Bluff. Plus you never no singing cowboys might just catch on again.

Your email pal,

Tom L.