unemployment and low wages

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue May 4 10:34:15 PDT 1999

Here comes the superfluous mouth again.

Prevailing economic theory holds that low wages are correlated with low unemployment; and high wages with high unemployment. I am making the case that unemployment depresses wages. (David Blanchflower and Andrew Oswald, The Wage Curve). Is there any other evidence or economists who I can cite to support the Blanchflower side??????

Mike Yates, you may be interested to know that Richard Burkhauser, the economist who you know, says this is pure bunk.

You may really want to know that one of Burkhauser's papers "Morality on the Cheap: The Americans with Disabilities Act, REGULATION MAGAZINE, Summer 1990 is listed on the Cato Institute website as a resource.

Marta