Sheep Shearing

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Wed May 5 06:57:49 PDT 1999

Rob Schaap/Kenichi Ohmae analysis is right on target. Greenspan and Abbey Cohen of the now 15% publicly owned Goldamn Sachs may proclaim with straight faces a new era where historically unprecedented p/e ratios of 1000/1 are appropriate to the new technological world of creative destruction of everyone over 25 years old and holding the same job for more than 5 years, or who does not speak English, or who does not pay US taxes. But reality will catch up soon in ways that were described in Rob's post and then some. The longer the party, the more painful the hangover. The scenario is not just 1929 all over again. No such luck. This time, no one knows what it will look like because its more than just a bubble burting, it is more like a bubble burst by the ignition of highly pressurized combustible gas of structured finance. It will be a bomb exploding. If one looks at the growth picture in the developed economies in the last decade, most of the growth came from the service sector and most of it from the finance service sector. There was a time that the service sector had to be balanced by a consumption sector. Now both the production and consumption of services are logged as growth because the services are mostly consumed by providers of other services. We have now a growth sustained by a constant redefinition of terms. Soon, to borrow from Hitchen, soon, there will be no one left to lie to.

Henry C.K. Liu