guns prevent violence!

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Wed May 5 09:15:48 PDT 1999

Well, I said I wasn't going to say more on this, but...

Jordan:

1) A very large (but less than 50%) of gun deaths are among family members. Are these people your precious "criminals"?

2) Sam Pawlett's (I think) post is "spot-on." Many other countries have higher rates of all kinds of crime than the US does (some don't, of course). So it is not that the US is this "high crime" place. But somehow we have this far higher rate of deaths, mostly by guns.

3) All the talk by you and Margaret about ropes and knives is silly. Guns kill a whole lot easier and quicker than do ropes and knives or other potential weapons.

4) The frontier legacy began well before the American Revolution. What do you think the Whiskey Rebellion rebels were carrying, squirrel knives? Colonists were shooting and killing Indians pretty much from Day One, or at least Two.

5) I would fully agree that it is very hard to deal with this problem now, given how many guns are out there for all kinds of historical and hysterical reasons. But I say, you start cutting them back every way you can from now on.

Oh yes, I am not some ignoramus about guns. I'm an old Eagle Scout who got a marksmanship award on the way to that. But I have not fired a gun since.

As for the NRA, I think that they should take seriously that bumper sticker about "they'll have to take my gun out my hands when I am cold and dead." Let the NRA be that. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Wednesday, May 05, 1999 12:30 AM Subject: Re: guns prevent violence!