da law, anti-racist links and pashukanis

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 5 16:38:04 PDT 1999

rc-am wrote:

>we've discussed this some before, and my own
>priority would be a campaign for a universal basic income. I think we need
>to break the connection between the compulsion to work and the ability to
>live. unemployment (not being in waged work) shouldn't be seen as a problem,
>poverty should be.

I'm with you on this, but this is a hard one to get working class support for. There's a lot of working class hostility to welfare recipients in the U.S. Part of this is the result of propaganda, for sure, but it's also a result of real living conditions - "if I have to work why should they get a check for doing nothing?" And I think the idea of an income without work would strike lots of people as dreamily impractical. It's a lot easier to find support for jobs programs and a higher minimum wage then it is to find support for something-for-nothing.

Doug