Nor all, that glisters,

D.L. boddhisatva at mindspring.com
Sat May 8 02:40:45 PDT 1999

C. Burford,

First of all, I don't think Blair's wife is unattractive. Second, are you serious when you say gold is the only real store of value? I hope not. Capitalists, by selling gold, are now admitting that the only real store of value is the human body and mind and the products it creates. Central banks represent, symbolize if you like, the sum total of all the credit relationships - money relationships - within the economy. As such they represent the work product of the working class under capitalism. Credit money rests on the idea that there is no such thing as storing adequate economic value over any but the short term. The economy must move forward or die. People have to provide for each other's needs or they go hungry and cold.

In the past century and a half there have been about 3.6 billion troy ounces of gold produced worth, at today's prices, a bit more than one trillion dollars. Thus the monetary value of all the gold produced since the 1840's is less than England's GDP for one year. How could such a small amount of stuff represent anything like a legitimate store of value for the world economy? Gold is a nice and useful metal. So is zinc. The mystery surrounding gold is why it has remained mystified even this long.