Rethinking Marxism 2000 conference

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 8 11:43:05 PDT 1999

RETHINKING MARXISM announces its fourth International Gala Conference

MARXISM 2000

21-24 September (Thursday-Sunday) 2000 University of Massachusetts at Amherst

Call for Papers and Session Proposals

PURPOSE: The editors of RETHINKING MARXISM announce the fourth in its series of international Gala conferences. The prior three conferences, each attended by well over one thousand persons from across the globe, brought together a variety of Marxian and other communities of struggle to discuss, debate, and strategize about diverse theoretical and political concerns.

*In 1989, "Marxism Now: Traditions and Difference" created a forum where new, heterogeneous directions in Marxism and the Left could be debated after the breakup of orthodoxy.

*In 1992, "Marxism in the New World Order: Crises and Possibilities" confronted directly the challenges--theoretical, organizational, and spiritual--which faced the Left and Marxism as the new millennium neared.

*In 1996, "Politics and Languages of Contemporary Marxism" continued the dialogue to open creative new spaces for political, cultural and scholarly interventions in the face of global restructuring of social relations.

With the new millennium upon us, the editors of RETHINKING MARXISM intend "Marxism 2000" to explore and engender fresh insights and struggles, and to (re)claim utopian visions and hopes for just and humane global alternatives. As Marxismís long first century draws to a close, we may reflect back on its many successes and unfortunate failures. The history of Marxism has certainly been contradictory, and we can learn from and embrace the insights of the many Marxisms that have profoundly shaped the last 150 years. Today, as a new millennium dawns, familiar specters have now dematerialized and capital is becoming increasingly global. New visions and analyses beg for articulation. As we enter Marxismís next century, the Left once again faces tremendous challenges and opportunities. It is time to take stock and move Marxismís future forward.

STRUCTURE: The conference will be held over four days, beginning at noon on Thursday 21 September and ending in early afternoon on Sunday 24 September. There will be concurrent panels, art/cultural events, and four plenary sessions. We invite the submission of pre-organized sessions that follow traditional or non-traditional formats (such as workshops, roundtables, and dialogue among and between presenters and audience). We encourage those working in areas that intersect with Marxism, such as feminism, political economy, cultural and literary studies, queer theory, postcolonial studies, geography and urban studies, social and natural sciences, philosophy, and around the issues of race and ethnicity, to submit paper and panel proposals. We welcome video, poetry, performance, and all other nontraditional modes of presentation. Indeed, we encourage paper or panel submissions from those working on any and all subjects of interest for a world without exploitation and oppression.

SPONSORSHIP: The conference is sponsered by RETHINKING MARXISM: a journal of economics, culture, and society.

LOGISTICS: The Conference will be held on the campus of the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. Detailed information on hotel accommodations and travel directions will be provided to all conference registrants and can also be found on our web site: http://www.nd.edu/~remarx/Marxism2000/

PUBLICATIONS: Selected papers, poems, and other forms of presentation from the conference will be published in RETHINKING MARXISM and/or in a separate edited volume of contributions.

SUBSCRIPTIONS: A special introductory subscription rate to RETHINKING MARXISM is available to all conference participants @ $30 for four issues--nearly 15% off the regular rate. Subscription requests and payments can be sent along with conference registration fees to the address below. This special introductory rate is available to new subscribers only.

REGISTRATION FEES:

Preregistration On-site registration

regular/low-income regular/low-income Full conference $60/30 $70/35 Two-Day $45/20 $55/25 One-Day $30/10 $40/15

SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS: Proposals for papers, panels, and other forms of presentation must be submitted by regular mail, not over email.

Proposals for papers should include:

*Paper title *Presenterís name and contact information (mail, email, phone, fax) *Brief (no more than 200 words) abstract

Proposals for panels should include:

*Panel title *Name, contact information, and paper title for each presenter *Brief (no more than 200 words) abstract explaining the panelís focus *Names and contact information for any discussant(s) or respondent(s) *Title, contact, and address for any sponsoring organization or journal

The appropriate registration fee must accompany all proposal submissions. UNFORTUNATELY, ANY SUBMITTED PROPOSAL NOT ACCOMPANIED BY THE APPROPRIATE PREREGISTRATION FEE CANNOT BE CONSIDERED. Proposals which are not accepted will have their preregistration fees returned in full. Checks must be in U.S. dollars, drawn on a U.S. bank, and made payable to AESA.

Send proposal submissions to:

Stephen Cullenberg Department of Economics University of California Riverside, CA 92521, USA email: mailto:Stephen.Cullenberg at ucr.edu

The deadline for proposal submission is 1 June 2000.

VENDORS AND ADVERTISEMENTS: Literature tables and display areas are available to groups, vendors, and publishers at reasonable rates. Ad space in the conference program (one-eighth, one-quarter, one-half, and full page) is also available at reasonable rates. All ads must be camera ready.