mom's salary

Margaret mairead at mindspring.com
Sat May 8 11:50:56 PDT 1999

Maggie Coleman wrote:

>In a message dated 99-05-06 23:59:44 EDT, Doug wrote:
>
><< In the run-up to Mother's Day in the U.S.A., the May 6 Wall Street Journal
> reports: "Edelman Financial Services Inc., Fairfax, Va., figures that
> mothers typically perform tasks from 17 occupations, including chef, social
> worker, psychologist, and property manager. It claims the combined median
> annual salary for mother's multitasking should be more than $500,000."
> >>

>add to that the fact that the vast majority of mothers work for a wage, and
>it makes one wonder why 85% of all people living under the poverty line are
>women and children. And, I wonder if workfare should be reassessed upwards
>based on this financial report? What do you think, has it got a shot?
>maggie coleman mscoleman at aol.com

Just for the record, I'll point out the obvious :-)

1) Women don't work full-time at each of the 17 occupations, so the notion that we should be paid the cumulative salaries for them is (I have to think intentionally) silly; which leads right into the fact that

2) by definition, work done by women is worth less, even when by objective standards it's the same work as when done by men.