NATO's "mistakes" - a list

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 8 15:44:55 PDT 1999

Nathan Newman wrote:

>220 killed. One person killed is a tragedy but this is an incredibly low
>civilian death rate given how much bombing has been done. That is one-tenth
>the number of Kosovars killed last year (by the lowest estimate available)
>that many on the left have said was too insignificant to justify
>intervention.

Spoken like an accountant. Appealing to the spirit of accountancy, rather than a critique of imperialism, a couple of points: the 2000 dead in Kosovo includes lots of KLA combantants, while the 220 count is purely civilian; we're talking 40 days vs. a full year; and we're not counting invisible and future casualties from pollution, uranium, etc.

Doug