Background to Serbian Conflict

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Sun May 9 01:17:41 PDT 1999

> The New York Times
> November 1, 1987, Sunday, Late City Final Edition
> Section 1; Part 1, Page 14, Column 1;
>
> "In Yugoslavia, Rising Ethnic Strife Brings Fears of Worse Civil Conflict"

hello tom,

you might want to take a look at these articles, links below.

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/6368/Communism/yugowar.htm

http://www.webcom.com/wildcat/Yugoslavia.html

http://www.webcom.com/wildcat/heroic.html

http://www.hrc.wmin.ac.uk/guest/radical/ESBOSNIA.HTM

http://www.arkzin.com/munist/ziz1e.html

in the article that you posted, it is as if this 'ethnic conflict' emerges in a vacuum, and indeed that the conflict is entirely a matter of 'ethnicity'. whilst I think it is true that, esp over time, this was the privileged terms of the conflicts in Yugoslavia and in the province, this obscures many important things, not least of which is the fact that milosevich's authority was increasingly under challenge _across_ Yugoslavia, and that the Belgrade govt was unable to impose any austerity upon the population required by the IMF.

regards,

Angela --- rcollins at netlink.com.au